Mantle Business Development Lead
Belfast / Glasgow
Veratta is a leading data management and technology business currently operating primarily in the defined benefit pension market. Veratta markets and supports our unique software, Mantle. Following significant growth over the past 2 years the Board have identified significant market opportunity and are looking to develop additional services and further expand. The business is therefore now looking for a business development head to lead that effort. The successful candidate will have the confidence and drive to set and refine the business strategy and to spearhead the sales effort of Mantle in our identified viable markets, which include third party administrators, actuaries, in-house pension schemes, public sector pension schemes and potentially overseas markets, as well as identifying new opportunities.
In order to succeed in this role, the successful candidate will be likely to have experience of the pensions industry, a track record in business development, experience of direct and intermediary sales and ideally experience marketing software services. An understanding of the historic and future impact of technology on the provision of pensions and wider services would be advantageous. This should include appreciation of the roles played by pension’s professionals in scheme governance, administration, actuarial work, investment management, data management and security, and of historic, recent & future developments in pensions software and corporate IT infrastructure generally.
Of key importance for success in the role will be a good understanding of the features and capabilities of Mantle and how it addresses problems and opportunities in all of the aforementioned areas. This will include pre-sales activity often giving detailed information on Mantle and how it will meet our potential customers’ needs. In order to do this, you will be required to have a detailed understanding of technical specifications and Mantle’s key features. You will also work closely with our marketing team to respond to requests for tenders, ensuring a high quality of proposal and response to tender requests is produced from the business. The role will also include demonstrating Mantle’s key features articulately and confidently, individually or as part of a pitch team. A significant amount of travel can be expected with the role.
This role will feature a high degree of interaction with prospective clients and professional connections, meaning that the successful candidate will be required to be an accomplished networker, comfortable to promote the business in a variety of relaxed and more formal networking opportunities, either face to face or over the telephone.
The successful candidate will report directly to the Group Board and be responsible for setting and implementing strategy, agreeing priorities and ultimately obtaining profitable results by driving up interest in the marketplace in Mantle. You will develop a business plan covering sales, revenue, and expense controls, meeting agreed targets and you will also promote the organisation.
You will be a proven self starter, highly self motivated and target driven, you will report on your performance on a regular basis at Director level, liaising with other functions around the business in order to ensure that the business development process takes account of all activity taking place within our Group, ensuring that opportunities are fully maximised.
The successful candidate may also be involved in negotiating commercial agreements and will be expected to maintain awareness and keep abreast of constantly changing software and hardware systems.
The role will have responsibility and accountability for:
- Working with the Ellcon Board to agree a Mantle marketing strategy
- Working with third parties and direct with clients to drive the agreed Mantle sales strategy with support from the Ellcon Board, Practice Heads and Marketing to achieve agreed outcomes.
- Demonstrating / presenting Mantle to clients and third parties
- Attend trade exhibitions, conferences, meetings and networking opportunities
- Review sales performance on an agreed basis
- Negotiate contracts
- Communicating effectively with external clients and internal teams to deliver functional requirements
- Daily management of any change requests relating to working projects to meet agreed deadlines
- Researching and learning about new software in the market that relates to the organisation’s functions
Essential Professional Competence
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Proven project management skills
- Ability to think analytically and should be a problem solver
- Strong organisational and time-management skills with the ability to handle multiple tasks and prioritise.
- Excellent presentation skills
- Display flexibility / flexible approach to workload
- Self motivated with the ability to work independently and proactively
- Ability to develop working relationships with managers and respond to client queries
- Strong negotiating and influencing skills
- Excellent Attention to detail
Behavioural competencies for the role
- Inspiring Leadership
- Strategic Thinking
- Client Engagement
- Collaborative Working
- Problem Solving
- Planned Approach
- Professional Approach
Salary: Competitive based upon relevant experience. Access to group wide profit share arrangement. Pension scheme and other benefits.
37.5 hours per week: Monday – Friday. The role holder will be required to work unsociable and additional hours at times for the completion of projects as and when required.
The role holder will be required to travel throughout the UK (and possibly further abroad) and this may involve overnight stays.
There is a six month probationary period from commencement of appointment.
Due to the changing nature of our business the role profile will inevitably change. We therefore recognise that from time to time, you will be required to undertake other activities of a similar nature that fall within your capabilities, as directed by the Board.