Investment Consultant – Defined Benefit Pensions
As an award-winning and recognised player in the UK Pensions industry, we are currently looking to recruit an investment consultant to join our highly successful team.
This individual will be involved in the further growth of our investment consulting proposition and services which have expanded rapidly in the last few years. What will set you apart is your gravitas, tenacity, sound commercial acumen and shared enthusiasm for our Company and our strategic objectives. This role requires an individual with experience in a defined benefit pensions consultancy.
This role is perfect for an individual with solid investment experience, who is looking to shape and develop a successful and influential career in a team in which they really can make a difference.
We are looking for a self motivated individual who is eager to work hard and make an impact.
Spence & Partners (Spence) was established in 2000 and is a privately owned UK firm of actuaries, pension and investment consultants, pension scheme IT specialists and administrators. We are part of an integrated group of companies that includes Dalriada Trustees Limited (Dalriada) a leading independent trustee, with offices in, Belfast, Glasgow, and London, Bristol and Manchester and clients throughout the UK and Ireland, and Veratta Limited, a data management, information security, software development and IT support business also in the pensions and financial services industry.
Our culture is embedded in everything we do. Our open door policy enables employees to communicate regularly with each other at all levels. We believe everyone can contribute ideas, and as a business we actively promote this, both to assist our employees in understanding the added value they can contribute, and to positively contribute to our excellent quality delivery to clients. We believe in empowerment, and expect our colleagues to thrive in an environment of ownership where they quickly excel and gain recognition.
About the role
Reporting to Head of Actuarial and Investment, you will be expected to deliver in the following areas:
- Production of performance monitoring reports.
- Managing asset transfer and transitions.
- Carrying out investment strategy reviews including conducting asset liability modelling using our market leading Mantle modeller.
- Providing client support to the lead consultant on the full spectrum of investment consulting activities, and be lead consultant on various other clients.
- Conducting manager research including production of manager research notes and commentary for performance monitoring reports.
- Carrying out asset class research and developing innovative approaches to investment strategy.
- Helping to develop and maintain Spence’s implemented consulting offering.
- Providing training and support to junior colleagues.
- Attending regular client meetings to present portfolio positioning, investment strategy and performance.
- Drafting advice, marketing and strategy documentation on various topics which range from:
- Investment strategy (including conducting ALMs)
- Fund and investment structure
- Governance solutions and manager implementation (search processes through to managing the asset transitions)
- Operating as a contributor in the Pension Industry, regularly building your professional network and presence in the marketplace.
- Engaging in new business activities such as production of tenders, attending new business pitches and responding to new business queries.
This is an exciting role in an organisation that embraces innovation and development.
Professional Experience & Knowledge Required
- Significant and relevant experience in a similar role.
- Strong technical investment knowledge.
- Creative and analytical approach to solving problems.
- Ability to manage projects to deliver on time and on budget.
- Excellent knowledge of computerised systems e.g. Microsoft Office/Windows applications, online and digital marketing, web development.
- Excellent written and communication skills which have been tested internally and externally.
- The ability to understand what will add value and what will not and the ability to tailor approach as and when required.
- Degree, 2.1 or above in a relevant subject.
- Working towards a relevant Professional Qualification such as CFA or IMC or IFOA.
Behavioural competencies for the role
Problem Solving, Credibility, Communication, Client engagement, Leadership, Continuous Learning, Adaptability/Drive.
Working hours: Monday to Friday, 37.5 hours per week with additional hours as and when required.
The role holder will be required to work across the United Kingdom and may be expected at times to travel for the delivery of an excellent service for our clients.
There is a six month probationary period from commencement of employment.
As part of the pre-hire process the successful candidate will be subject to reference checking security vetting.
Spence & Partners is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Due to the changing nature of our business the role profile will inevitably change. We therefore recognise that from time to time, you will be required to undertake other activities of a similar nature that fall within your capabilities, as directed by the Board.