Senior System Administrator and Architect
You are keen to embrace the opportunity of developing your IT experience as part of an excellent and award winning company. You are an exceptional IT professional who will hit the ground running with excellent business acumen and transferable IT experience. You will be comfortable delivering varied support for specific practice areas within and across our businesses.
You will have the ability to communicate and positively influence and negotiate at all levels, both internally and externally. You will be aware of the importance of maintaining confidentiality and integrity at all times in respect of the sensitive nature of the business. Our growing company has an ever more complex web of software, hardware and associated suppliers. You will want to help to get the very best performance from all three, and work together shaping decisions on IT architecture and spending as the business moves toward a ‘cloud first’ future.
Spence & Partners (Spence) was established in 2000 and is a privately owned UK firm of actuaries, pension consultants, pension scheme IT specialists and administrators. We are part of an integrated group of companies that includes Dalriada Trustees Limited (Dalriada) a leading independent trustee, with offices in, Belfast, Glasgow, and London, Bristol, Manchester and Leeds and clients throughout the UK and Ireland, and Veratta Limited, a data management, information security, software development and IT support business also in the pensions and financial services industry.
Our culture is embedded in everything we do. Our open door policy enables employees to communicate regularly with each other at all levels. We believe everyone can contribute ideas, and as a business we actively promote this, both to assist our employees in understanding the added value they can contribute, and to positively contribute to our excellent quality delivery to clients. We believe in empowerment, and expect our colleagues to thrive in an environment of ownership where they quickly excel and gain recognition.
About The Role
The IT team provides proactive support to the Business’s practices and group companies and ensures a high quality service is delivered to the business to mirror the professional and excellent delivery of our colleagues.
This is a Senior role within the business and as such the successful candidate will have responsibility for:
- Strategic planning and execution of the technology roadmap for the company
- All IT & Technology Systems within the business
- Ensuring Technology is an enabler for the business moving forward
- Technical evaluation of suppliers to ensure the business receives a first class prod service that is fit for business needs
- Reporting to Directors and advising on technical direction and budgetary spend
Essential Professional Experience & Knowledge
- Long and proven experience in MS Windows Server administration and networking;
- A working knowledge of MS Azure deployments;
- A working knowledge of some core Enterprise level Microsoft applications including for example Sharepoint or Sharepoint Online, Office 365, Microsoft Dynamics CRM, Microsoft Dynamics NAV
- Experience in building monitoring and alerting infrastructure
- Excellent general troubleshooting and root cause analysis skills;
- A strong desire to fix things, understand things, and do things well.
Desirable Professional Experience & Knowledge
- Experience in the professional services industry is desirable, though not essential.
- Management of IT budgets and invoicing.
- Previous line management experience.
- Degree, 2.1 or above in a relevant discipline.
- Relevant Microsoft or other vendor certifications
- Relevant courses related to Information technology.
Behavioural competencies for the role
Problem Solving, Credibility, Communication, Client engagement, Leadership, Continuous Learning, Adaptability/Drive.
Working hours: Monday to Friday, 37.5 hours per week with additional hours as and when required
Salary will be commensurate with experience.
The role holder may be required to work across the United Kingdom and may be expected at times to travel.
There is a six month probationary period from commencement of employment.
As part of the pre-hire process the successful candidate will be subject to reference checking security vetting.
Due to the changing nature of our business the role profile will inevitably change. We therefore recognise that from time to time, you will be required to undertake other activities of a similar nature that fall within your capabilities, as directed by the board.