Pension Fund Accountant Assistant
Glasgow or Belfast
We are looking for a credible professional who can be a reliable assistant to our team of pension fund accountants This role will form part of our Fund Accounts and Payroll team carrying out a key role for our quality delivery of accounting and cashflow services to our clients.
We are looking for someone who is keen to embrace the opportunity of developing their experience as part of an award winning pensions consultancy.
You will be able to evidence previous experience of working successfully within a book keeping or accountancy role. You will be methodical in your work with exceptional attention to detail ensuring all deadlines are met. You will be organised, efficient with the ability to prioritise your work and recognise urgent and important tasks. You will understand the importance of communication internally and externally and be an enthusiastic member of our excellent team
Spence & Partners (Spence) was established in 2000 and is a privately owned UK firm of actuaries, pension consultants, pension scheme IT specialists and administrators. We are part of an integrated group of companies that includes Dalriada Trustees Limited (Dalriada) a leading independent trustee, with offices in, Belfast, Glasgow, and London, Bristol and Manchester and clients throughout the UK and Ireland, and Veratta Limited, a data management, information security, software development and IT support business also in the pensions and financial services industry.
Our culture is embedded in everything we do. Our open door policy enables employees to communicate regularly with each other at all levels. We believe everyone can contribute ideas, and as a business we actively promote this, both to assist our employees in understanding the added value they can contribute, and to positively contribute to our excellent quality delivery to clients. We believe in empowerment, and expect our colleagues to thrive in an environment of ownership where they quickly excel and gain recognition
About the role
Our business has experienced strong growth over the last two years and we have an exciting opportunity for an Experienced Pension Fund Accountant. This role will form part of our Fund Accounts and Payroll team and will report through to the Fund Accounts Line Manager.
- Liaise with the pension scheme’s auditors in the production of the accounts, planning the audit timetable, answering audit queries
- Arrange for signing of the scheme annual report and accounts within the agreed time-scale, before the statutory deadlines and within budget.
- Provide bank statements and ledgers for schemes transferring to the Pension Protection Fund (PPF) or Financial Assistance Scheme (FAS) within the required time scales.
- Book-keeping and general ledger responsibilities for the processing of supplier & member payments and deposits.
- Respond to daily payment queries.
- Prepare and collate payments in a responsible, timely and accurate manner.
- Provide monthly balances or quarterly fee and VAT reconciliations for specific clients in addition to providing actuaries with trial balances/ledgers amongst other relevant information for FRS17/IAS19 accounting standards reports as required.
- Attend and effectively contribute to all relevant internal and external meetings, ensuring actions, projects deadlines are adhered to and completed.
- Ensure compliance with business processes and adherence to relevant legislation, regulatory requirements and HMRC authorised practice with regards to potential movements/payments.
Essential Professional Experience & Knowledge:
- Book-keeping and general ledger experience with a basic financial awareness of accounting procedures including budgeting and cashflow management.
- Excellent knowledge of computerised systems e.g. Microsoft Office/Windows applications, especially in Excel
- Excellent written and communication skills.
- An understanding of how to deliver to internal controls, deadlines and business processes.
- An enthusiastic team player.
Essential Educational Qualifications
- Evidence of qualifications with a strong numeracy content
Behavioural competencies for the role
Problem Solving, Credibility, Communication, Client engagement, Leadership, Continuous Learning, Adaptability/Drive.
Location: Glasgow or Belfast
Working hours: Monday to Friday, 37.5 hours per week with additional hours as and when required
Closing Date: 17th November 2017
Salary will be commensurate with experience.
The role holder may be required to work across the United Kingdom and may be expected at times to travel.
There is a three month probationary period from commencement of employment.
As part of the pre-hire process the successful candidate will be subject to reference checking security vetting.
Eligibility to Work in UK
In line with Home office requirements and the Immigration, Nationality and Asylum Act 2006, we require candidates to provide evidence of their eligibility to work within the UK.
Please enclose a copy of the relevant documents along with your application.
Please be prepared to provide the appropriate documentation in original form for checking should you be invited to attend further shortlisting.
Due to the changing nature of our business the role profile will inevitably change. We therefore recognise that from time to time, you will be required to undertake other activities of a similar nature that fall within your capabilities, as directed by the Board.