Our business has experienced strong growth and we have an exciting opportunity for a Payroll Assistant. This role will form part of our Fund Accounts and Payroll team carrying out a key role for our clients and internally.
We are looking for someone who is keen to embrace the opportunity of developing their payroll experience as part of an award winning pensions consultancy.
You will be able to evidence previous experience of working successfully within a payroll/accounting team to achieve clear but also challenging goals. You will have the ability to communicate and positively influence and negotiate at all levels, both internally and externally. You will be commercially astute and able to add value to our excellent team.
Spence & Partners (Spence) was established in 2000 and is a privately owned UK firm of actuaries, pension consultants, pension scheme IT specialists and administrators. We are part of an integrated group of companies that includes Dalriada Trustees Limited (Dalriada) a leading independent trustee, with offices in, Belfast, Glasgow, and London, Bristol and Manchester and clients throughout the UK and Ireland, and Veratta Limited, a data management, information security, software development and IT support business also in the pensions and financial services industry.
Our culture is embedded in everything we do. Our open door policy enables employees to communicate regularly with each other at all levels. We believe everyone can contribute ideas, and as a business we actively promote this, both to assist our employees in understanding the added value they can contribute, and to positively contribute to our excellent quality delivery to clients. We believe in empowerment, and expect our colleagues to thrive in an environment of ownership where they quickly excel and gain recognition.
About the role
This role will form part of our Fund Accounts and Payroll team and will report through to the Pensions Administration and Fund Accounts Function Head.
Upon training you will
- Record and update payroll changes received from the Scheme Administrator
- Process monthly payrolls for a number of schemes, including submitting files for RTI by deadlines
- Investigate and resolve any discrepancies in payroll and respond to daily payroll queries
- Prepare and submit reports with payroll information to Scheme Administrator
- Complete Year End Payroll Returns in a timely and accurate manner
- Prepare and collate payments in a responsible, timely and accurate manner
- Manage the set up and on-going management of trustee bank accounts as required, within internal deadlines and appropriately maintaining the Company systems.
- Attend and effectively contribute to all relevant internal and external meetings, ensuring actions, projects deadlines are adhered to and completed.
- Keep up to date with legislative changes and responsibly and proactively communicate all relevant technical/industry/legislative/statutory developments to the wider business, providing solutions and instructions on how they will be dealt with and how any impacting changes will be managed.
- Ensure compliance with business processes and adherence to relevant legislation, regulatory requirements and HMRC authorised practice with regards to potential movements/payments.
Essential Professional Experience & Knowledge
- Basic financial Awareness of treasury and cash management procedures.
- Excellent knowledge of computerised systems e.g. Microsoft Office/Windows applications, especially in Excel
- Excellent written and communication skills which have been tested internally and externally. The ability to tailor approach according to the audience and have real marketing impact
- Knowledge of day to day payroll procedures including processing monthly payrolls and making accurate payments via BACS, submitting files for RTI by deadlines and year end payroll returns
- An understanding of how to deliver to internal controls and business processes
Desirable Professional Experience & Knowledge
- General ledger and bookkeeping experience
Technical Experience & Knowledge
- Experience of Sage payroll packages
Essential Educational Qualifications
- Evidence of qualifications with a strong numeracy content
Behavioural competencies for the role
Problem Solving, Credibility, Communication, Client engagement, Leadership, Continuous Learning, Adaptability/Drive.
Working hours: Monday to Friday, 37.5 hours per week with additional hours as and when required
Salary will be commensurate with experience.
The role holder may be required to work across the United Kingdom and may be expected at times to travel. There is a six month probationary period from commencement of employment. As part of the pre-hire process the successful candidate will be subject to reference checking security vetting.
Spence & Partners is an Equal Opportunity Employer.