Glasgow (Belfast may also be considered)
We recruit the best individuals with the potential to be the future influencers in our business. We are looking for individuals who are seeking their next challenge and want to continue to develop within a busy and successful organisation. These individuals should be intelligent, innovative and motivated to make an impact which could lead to further opportunities in our award winning organisation. You should be making good progress through your professional exams, nearing qualification, with a strong background of experience in a similar role/environment.
You should enjoy solving complex problems for your clients and have an actively developed understanding of the UK pensions industry and the areas affecting it. You will be well organised and proactive, calm under pressure and able to communicate well at all levels (both written and verbally).
You will enjoy working in a challenging environment in which you can develop both personally and professionally. You should be able to demonstrate a conscientious approach to your work and exhibit exceptional attention to detail. You will be an individual who is great at working with people and knows how to interact in a professional environment and can deliver to the requirements of our high performing culture.
You will be commercially astute and aware of issues relevant in the role of a Pensions Actuary and able to deliver to the demands of the changing environment.
What to expect when working with us
Spence & Partners (Spence) was established in 2000 and is a privately owned UK firm of actuaries, pension consultants, pension scheme IT specialists and administrators. Spence has offices in, Belfast, Glasgow, Bristol, Manchester and London, and clients throughout the UK and Ireland.
We are part of an integrated group of companies that includes Dalriada Trustees Limited, a leading independent trustee, and Veratta Limited, a data management, information security, software development and IT support business also in the pensions and financial services industry.
Our Business is based on a culture which aims to provide all of our clients with a high-quality and professional service through building strong personal relationships and the effective use of our award winning technology.
We believe in empowerment, and expect our colleagues to thrive in an environment of ownership where they can quickly excel and gain recognition.
About the role
Working within our Actuarial and Investment Function you will be exposed to a wide variety of work and responsibilities:
- Using your pension knowledge and technical skills to deliver a high quality service to our clients on a range of DB pension related issues.
- Taking on a wide-ranging portfolio of work while developing client exposure and essential business skills.Working within the wider multi-disciplinary team, maintaining regular contact with internal colleagues in our other Functions.
- Managing the delivery of multiple projects, ensuring timely completion and adherence to budgets.
- Mentoring and developing less experienced members of the team.
- Using mathematical modelling techniques and statistical concepts to assess risks and analyse statistical data.
- Preparing client communications, presentations and reports, with a high level of attention to detail.
- Effectively and coherently communicate actuarial information, explaining its implications to the wider team and our clients.
- Developing relationships with clients and third parties, including investment managers, financial directors, external stakeholders and third party administrators.
- Adhering to and driving, where relevant, robust governance processes, with policies and procedures implemented and continually reviewed as required.
- Contributing to the growth of our business through the production of tender documentation and assisting with new business pitches.
You will work closely with our Scheme and Corporate actuaries and the Directors of our Business.
- 2:1 or above in a relevant degree.
- GCSE and A Level, or equivalent, Maths at grade A or above.
- Excellent experience in a similar role advising clients.
- Making good progress through the Actuarial Professional exams, nearing qualification.
- Ability to demonstrate a track record of excellent client service and a broad knowledge of how UK pensions schemes work.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.Evidence of proactive extra curricular learning and engagement in your chosen career path.
- Excellent knowledge of computerised systems e.g. Microsoft Office/Windows applications, in particular Excel.
Behavioural competencies for the role
Inspiring Leadership, Strategic Thinking, Impacting & Influencing, Client Engagement, Collaborative Working, Problem Solving, Planned Approach, Professional Approach.
Working hours – Monday to Friday, 37.5 hours per week. Additional hours may be required from time to time to meet the needs of the business and delivery to clients.
There is a three month probationary period from commencement of employment.
As part of the pre-hire process, the successful candidate will be subject to reference checking security vetting.
Spence & Partners is an equal opportunities employer.
Spence & Partners is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Eligibility to Work in the UK
Please enclose a copy of the relevant documents along with your application.
Please be prepared to provide the appropriate documentation in original form for checking should you be invited to attend further shortlisting.
Due to the changing nature of our business the role profile will inevitably change. We therefore recognise that from time to time, you will be required to undertake other activities of a similar nature that fall within your capabilities, as directed by the Board.